Tuesday, September 1, 2020

August--A Mini Show and Tell, and an Art Retreat--Getting Ready!

 So  August  was  a  little  bit  of  everything  with  my  art-making,  not  to  mention, I'm  a  little  down  watching  summer  come  to  an  end  (however  I  love  Fall!)  I  started  out  getting  out  my  paints  and  paper  and  not  over-thinking......

I  used  110lb  cardstock  that  I  painted  first  with black  gesso  and then  I took   some  of  my  favorite  stencils  with  bright  contrasting  colors--love  the  look!

Next  I  experimented  with  my  gel  plate.   I  first  got  my  background  color  on  the  plate with  stencils  and  different  colors--

and  then  I  made  templates  to  use  as  masks  for  the  plate--

--added  a  solid  color  (in  this  case, purple)  and  laid  down  the  original  paper  and  here  was  my  result--

I  decided  to  use  my Posca  Pen (a  new  love, because  it's  permanent  and  it's  paint!)  to outline  some  of  the  images.  So  what  I  did  after  was  basically  cleaning  up the  gel  plate.  The  image  of  the  masks  were  still on  the  plate  and  they  were  dry.  So  I  knew  that  they  would  transfer  on  to  the  paper  nicely  if  I  added  more  paint  on top of  them  on the  gel  plate,  and  I  really  like  the  result-(this was done on  plain white paper)--

...a  ghost  print  of  the  images--I  like  it!

These  papers  were  practice  for  a  little  bit  of what  we  will  be  doing  at  our  Art  Retreat  coming  in  early  September.  We  have  this  retreat  every  year  and  we  really  enjoy  coming  together  for  the  purpose  of  nothing  else  but  to  make   art  for  3  solid  days.   This  year  will  be  a  bit  different,  to  say  the  least,  but  it  is  happening.  There  will  be  a  total  of  8  of  us,  and we'll each  have  our  own  8  foot  table  at  a  wonderful  location  not  too far  from  my  home .

This  year  I  will  be  teaching  2  separate  projects.  The  first  one  will  be  faux  encaustics.  I've  never  worked  with  real  encaustic  before,  mainly  because  of  the  cost,  so  I  did  some  researching  on  the  faux  part,  and  I  found  one  technique that  worked  for  me,  and  here's  the  result--

this  was  made  with layers  of  gel  medium--great  effect!!  And  here's  another  variation--

I love how the layers come through.

And the next project is going to involve my new venture with polymer  clay.  I  wanted  to  learn  how  to  use  polymer  clay  so  I  could  add  it  to  my  mixed  media  pieces.   Here's  the  piece  we will be  working  on--

--and  here's  where  painting  papers  come  in.  They  are  the  background  of  the  piece  and  the  polymer  clay  accents  are  the  addition.   When   I  first  started  teaching  myself  this  medium  I  wanted  to  transform  my painted  whimsy  art  into  clay  form.   

I  made  the  birds  in  my  art  journal  first  and  then  I  made  them  into  polymer  clay.

But  this  project  isn't  exclusive--I'll  bring  some  more  variations  with  me--

I  want  to  show  how  versatile  polymer  clay  is--basically  you  can  bring  your  own  voice  to  it.

--some  more  playing  around  with  this  very  fun  and  very  forgiving  medium.

So  for  the  most  part,  this  is  what has  been  keeping  me  busy  the  last  few  weeks,  along  with  other  art  here  and  there.  My  main  focus,  however,  is  the  art  retreat.  It's  important  right  now  to  keep  yourself  healthy  in  these  times,  but  also  to  keep  your  mind  healthy  too  and  for  me  that's  some  art  therapy!  Stay  safe  everyone.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails