Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Making The Most Out of Your Background

I've  been  playing  with  my  paints  again--


but  this  time  it's  not  on  paper--this  is  on  a  12 x 12 wood  cradle  board  (great  surface  to  work  on).  And  even  though  this  happened  through  layers  of  paint,  stencils,  mark making, etc.--it's  my  first  'layer'--my  background  for  my  art  piece.

So  the  next  thing  I  did  was  sketch  in  my  design  over  this  background--


a  little hard to see--but basically it's a rooster and some whimsy clouds over  a  big sun (which  I  already  started  to paint in)   I  used  my  favorite  water  soluble  pencil  for  this--it's great  to  use--if  you  want  to  fix  a  mistake  or
  change  your  design--just  use  a  little  water  to  'erase'  it  and  start  over

And  now  you  can  see  more  where  I'm  going  with  this--


I  filled  in  the  background,  but  kept  my  main  theme  (the  rooster)  in the  original  background  that  I  started  with.   I  want  to  mention  that   I  used  all  Golden  fluid  acrylics for  everything  you  see,  including  the  original  background--these  are  my  favorite  paints  to  use--I  love  how  rich  these  colors  are--so  worth  the  added  expense.

Next  layer--


starting  with  sun--I  collaged  some  Tim  Holtz  tissue  paper  over  it  and  then  added more  paint--little  bits  of  ephemera  on  the  rooster,  and as  you  can  see,  I  had  to  put  that  teal  acrylic  ink  in  the  sky  and  also  here  and  there  in  the  rooster  and  sun--that  seems  to  be  my  go-to  color  lately---and--


I  took  some  light  molding  paste  over  a  stencil  to  add  a  little  texture.

....one  more  layer--


this  time  in  the  clouds  and  some  stenciling  in  the  sky--I  also  spritzed  a  little  alcohol  on  random  spots (and  rubbed  it  away  with  a  paper  towel)   which  will  take  some  of  the  paint  away--I  like  that  distressed  look  a  LOT!

So   I  think  I'm  done  with  the  layers,  and  saying  that  this  little  rooster  is  finished!


This  is  such  a  fun  technique---playing  with  paint  on  your  substrate  any  way  you  want,  and  then  covering  it  up--or  not  and  using  it  to  help  bring  the  piece  together.

8 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

LOVE your play - such tactile work!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

well HOLY MACKARAL,GIRL! GREAT to see you over here. just love this, I am doing something so similar with butterflies right now (EVen though our styles are different) but they may turn into something else by the time I finish, ha! SO COOL, DIANE! xo

Unknown said...

Love your work and your process! You're an inspiration to me!

Unknown said...

What is cradle board? I keep hearing it but I don't know what it is. Please pm me! raetino47@gmail.com thanks so much

Sunny K. Lee said...

Beautiful art :)

Unknown said...

Oh, how I love what you have created!!! I always do...and your blog always, always inspires me!!!

Autumn Leaves said...

Your imagination is limitless and your work so full of color and joy.

Juls said...

Love the piece with the lady on it!!!! Hugs Juls xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails