Saturday, February 14, 2015

Intuitive Painting

Painting  with  your  intuition--I  have  a  real  big  problem  with  that.  When  I  try,  I  get  more  frustrated--I  usually  will  end  up  with  some  kind  of  art  that  I'm  happy  with--basically  you  don't  stop  adding  layers  or  whatever  until  your  happy  with  it.   But  you're  supposed  to  enjoy  the  process  or  'journey',  and  I  don't,  which  means  I  like  to  have  a  plan  before  I  start  anything--just  the  way  my  mind  works.

And  then  came  along  week  6  of  Life Book  with  Tam's  lesson,  it  is  exactly  the  type  of  'intuitive'  painting  that  fits  me.   I  really  don't  want  to  get  into  the  details  too  much,  since  this  was  Tamara  Laporte's  technique  taught  to  us--but  all  I  can  say  is  that  if  you're  looking  for  a  diverse  mixed  media  year  long  class  with  many  different  familiar  artists--then  this  is  the  place  for  you.

So  a  little  peek  of  the WIP  for  my  first  piece  that  came  out  of  this  lesson--


If  you're  not  familiar  with  Life  book--the  basis  is  to  make    journal  pages  from  the  lessons  you  learn each  week,  and  at  the  end  of  the  year,  you  put  them  together  to  make  a  journal--Life Book 2015.    But  I  really  don't  journal  in  this  way  ( I  really  don't  journal  much  at  all)--so  in  my  way--I  put  it  on  canvas--


(my  way  of  journaling)--but  back  to  this  particular  lesson--I  like  to  call  it  a  planned  intuitive  painting,  if  that  makes  sense.   There  was  a  step-by-step  process  to  this  piece,  but  by  the  end,  you  just  get  into  the  flow,  and I  got  out  of  my  own  way   and  really  let  my  intuition  take  over--I  loved  painting  this  way.

Another  'planned  intuitive'  piece--


...on  a  10 x 20  gallery  canvas

lots of layers--which makes great texture--



And next,  I  decided  to  do  this  technique  on  a  mirror  frame--the  start--


...and  the  finish--


--I  love  it--a  new  way  of  laying  down  your  paint  and  etc.--thank you  Tam   for  an  awesome  lesson!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Everything here is so incredibly gorgeous! I love the frames! Wow! Your work is really exciting!

Autumn Leaves said...

Your work is always so beautiful to my mind. The colors, the vivacity...! I wish I'd known of the Life Book thing. I am going to favorite the site and hope they do it again next year!

Jan said...

This turned out great! I'm currently working on a piece following the tutorial you last posted, the one with the cat in it. I'm having a lot of fun with it, thanks for your generosity in sharing.

Cathy Bueti said...

Diane!! Wow! this is gorgeous!! Great colors! I know what you mean, I feel the same about intuitive painting. I have trouble letting go in my art as well. I am a huge fan of Tam. So happy you tried this and obviously it was worth it! And it even has your amazing signature style! Hope all is well ! xo

Tina said...

Wonderful, how happy!

Kristina said...

I really love this style :) It is very beautiful and interesting with all the colours and detailes to discover!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE all the works shown!

Kelley said...

Hello there! New to your blog and am really enjoying my visit! I'm also new to "Life Book"and have been following along, learning new things but not posting much of my work. I love your frame here, and this may sound odd, but I actually love the starting phase just as it was! The light hand and colors are so dreamy without the established lines to me. Don't get me wrong, love the finished product too, but there was something about your "before" that really appealed to me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails