Monday, May 13, 2019

Playing Around With a New Medium--Polymer Clay

Ever  since  I  discovered  Laurie  Mika  and  her  unique  approach  to  working  with  polymer  clay  I   wanted  to  try  working  with  this  'stuff',  but  always  putting  it  off---thinking  I  didn't  want  to  go  through  the  learning  process.   Finally  this  year,  I  decided  it  was  time  to  at  least  try  it.   And  yes,  there  is  definitely  a  learning  process  to  it,  but  during  the  process   I  found  that  you  can still  come  up  with  pieces  that  you're  happy  with,  encouraging  you  to  keep  going.

My  first  'piece'--


Okay, so  the  only  polymer  clay  piece  on  this  one  is  the  sun  face.   I  used  a  push  mold (the  supplies  for  polymer  clay  are  endless  and  addictive!).   And  I  was  so  thrilled  with  it--I  used   white Sculpey  Premo  clay  and  I  painted  it  after  I  baked  it.   The  painting  part  was  fun  for  me,  since  I'm  always  playing  with  paint  and  by  now,  I'm  very  comfortable  with  it.

So  next  I  wanted  to  do  something  a  little  more--


This  was  made on  a  cupboard  door.  The  'frame'  of  it  was  collaged  with  my  hand-painted  papers,  and  the  house  is  made  from  polymer  clay.  I  used  a  pasta  machine  to  roll  out the  clay  in  2  different  sections--the  main  house  and  then  the  roof,  stamping  the  roof  with  a  texture  plate   and  carving  into  the  house  with  a  stylus.   I  indented  the  little  holes  into  the  house,  so  after  I  baked  it  and  painted  it  I  glued  black  beads  into  the  holes.  The  rest  is  just  embellishments--basically  incorporating  polymer  clay  elements  into  my  mixed  media  style  of  art  that  I  usually  will  make.

So  on  another  cupboard  door--


This time  it's  the  birds  and  the  stamped  words  that  are  polymer.   I  made  a  template  for  the  birds,  and  used  a craft  knife  to  cut them  out  on  the  clay--so  easy!   I  wanted  the  clay  to  be  thicker  so  I used  a  rolling  pin,   again  with  the white  Premo.  I  like  painting  them myself, but  there  are  so  many  colors  that   you  can  choose  from,  you  can  find  your  own  colors  to  use,  and  not  have  to  paint  them.  The  hearts  have  texture  too.  I  made  them  from  modeling  paste  and  a  heart  stencil.


More  polymer  fun--


I  made  lots  of  small  tiles  for  the  one  piece  and  a  large  heart  for  the  other  piece.    I  glued  the  embellishments  into  the  large  heart  with  Sculpey  Bake  and  Bond  before  I  baked  it,  and then  I  painted  it.

My  favorite  part  about  polymer  clay  is  its  versatility  and  ease  to  work  with (a very forgiving medium)--if  you're  not  happy  with  what  you're  working  on,  just  roll  it  out and  start  over.  And  for  the  most  part,  I  got  the  basics  from  you tube  videos--hundreds  of  them  out  there!   I  can't  wait  to  see how  my  polymer  journey  goes---I  don't  know  what  I  was  waiting  for!!  

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails