Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Selling Your Art in Person vs. Selling Online.....PLUS A Bob Update

I would have to say that one of the advantages of selling your art at a show is the feedback that you get from potential customers.  For example--remember the wood blocks that I made?  Well, I  received a good response from customers, but I didn't sell as many as I thought I would. Most of  the  blocks were   displayed on shelves that I had in my booth.  And  if  I had a nickel for every person who came up to them and tried to open them, I'd  have  some  decent  pocket  change now.  And another nickel for ladies saying to me that they wished  they were boxes-----so,  I took their advice, and went to the local craft chain  (Pat Catan's--if you're ever in Northeast Ohio--go to one of these stores--excellent prices), and bought me some small boxes.  They're the  exact  same size  as  the  blocks, but a little deeper.  So  I'm  making some for the show that  I'm  in  this weekend.





Another good tip--functional art sells very well, because not only is it a piece of art, it also has a purpose.


But the best reason, I feel,  for  displaying  your artwork  at  shows,  is that  people like to see the art in person.  They love to touch it.  This is what I want.  I want people to touch and see the colors up close, and ask me questions like   "what is this, or how did you do this".  I love when my art puts a smile on their face, because it puts a smile on mine.  You can't get that when you're selling online.

And there's one more thing that I should mention about shows.--Juried vs Non- Juried shows.  With the non-juried shows, all you have to do is fill out the application with the required booth fee and send it in.  They just require that your work is handmade, but you're going to see alot of non-handmade, anywhere from Tupperware to Home Windows--this is just how it is.  And you're  also going to see crafters that are not really making their craft--this is very common.

Now in the juried shows, they want to see photos, slides, or a CD of your work, and sometimes your display.  The fee is usually quite a bit higher, and 9 times out of 10, there's a non-refundable jury fee from $10.00 to $30.00.  But in the long run, they're worth it, because  for  the  most  part,  sales are  always better in these types of shows,and the quality of arts and crafts are much better.  And every artist who does the show circuit as had the dreaded "rejection" letter.  It's not a reflection on you--really--it's just that some of these shows get way over the amount of applicants that they need,  so they have their pick and choose.  It's a bit of a blow to your ego, but in the long run, it's an advantage, because it pushes you to go farther with your art.  I consider it a challenge, and I don't give up year after year   until I finally get accepted, which is a great feeling.

So enough business talk--What About Bob?  Well, my daughter told me that the night he came home from getting his tooth removed, his mouth was swollen, and he was "gently crying" all night--Awwww!  But, the next day, he was fine.  And she also told me that before they had  found out  about the cracked tooth, he had been mopey for a quite a while.  She thinks that the tooth was hurting him all along--Awwww!  She says that  he's a very happy dog now!!

But he's too cool to show it : )

32 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are generous beyond belief with your information on selling your art. Like you, I want people to be able to see and touch my art. There is no substitute for that personal contact. I also don't have the best camera in the world, so getting a good photo is often not possible. And photos can never show the depth and shimmer of many layers or glimmer. Thanks again for these "lessons."

Glad to hear Bob is once again so cool he's got to wear shades!

Rebecca Anthony said...

Great tips, I really need these right now! You couldn't have talked about this at a better time(O: I got some vintage suitcases today I'm going to decoupage for my displays thanks to your awesome idea to so. Also good to know about doing a box rather than blocks. hmmmm
Thank you!!

Rebecca Anthony said...

Sorry about Bob, I hope he feels better soon!

Dianne said...

Glad Bob is better... Absolutely gorgeous boxes... and thanks for the show information!

Jeanne Nelson said...

Thank you for an awesomely informative post, Diane. You continue to inspire me, and I hope to be "on the circuit" with you one day! It has to be an awesome feeling to hear "live" comments on your art, and to receive the immediate feedback. Who would have ever thought they would prefer boxes?!? Your blocks are gorgeous!

So happy to hear that Bob is back to wearing shades and happy again. He's such a cutie!

Wishing you a great rest-of-the-week! Happy creating!

Terri Kahrs said...

Aaawwwwwwww . . . . poor Bob! Crying softly all night! Aaawwwwww!!!! But I'm happy to know that he's back to his old happy self!!! Bet it's a relief for him that the nasty cracked tooth is gone and he's pain free.

Great idea to make the little boxes, Diane! I'm sure you'll do well with them. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Janet Ghio said...

Glad Bob is feeling cool again!! Lots of great advice for those wanting to do craft fairs and shows!!Lots of good tips!!

sharon said...

Thanks for always sharing excellent advice with us Diane!! It all helps, and I love how on the blog we all try to help each other. I really appreciate that!

Glad BOb is doing better, he is just too too cute!

Serena Lewis said...

Great tips, Diane! Some years ago, buyer's interest seemed to flow more towards canvas art and the functional art took a back seat so it's good to see it has regained popularity again.

I'm so glad to hear Bob is a much happier doggy now.

Holly Loves Art said...

Bob the French Bulldog is just too cool for school. I love him!

Your blog title really popped out at me. I think about that all the time and find that I do MUCH better in person. Etsy and on-line can be really tough and hot and cold. But selling in person for me is great because photographs just doesn't depict the detail of my work as much as I would like. I think it is probably that way for many artists.

Great post!

Hope you're having a wonderful week.

Kiss Bob for me!

Hugs,
Holly

Butterfly Works said...

The boxes are absolutely beautiful and I bet you still a ton of them at your show coming up....Your work is great and I always enjoy visiting and seeing what you are up to.....

So glad Bob is doing better...

Linda Vincent said...

Such great advice Diane...and I totally agree with you about functional art. Your boxes are beautiful and should 'fly off the shelves' :-)
Bob looks so cool....I'm glad he's feeling better, bless him.

Dorthe said...

Diane,
thanks, and yes you are so right, I think, most people really wants to hold things in their hands, anyway if they are new costumers,to our art.
But- I`m too, trying soon to start up my Etsy :)
I so love your boxen to open, wonderfull take.
Hugs, Dorthe

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

you are just the IT girl for all your generosity, diane...these last 2 posts were wonderful wonderful as is your work...your boxes are so pretty...and i like YOUR style as well...thank you for your commento's!! xo

Buffy said...

I love how you share all your tips about selling and making art. Thanks so much. I love,love,love your jewerly boxes,what a great idea! And poor bob,he's such a tuff guy,i'm glad hes feeling better and back to himself. Thanks for your comment on my blog,i took your advice and started a canvas,hopefully it comes out. I don't know why but canvases intimadate(not sure on the spelling)me.

Tina said...

poor bob :( He's so cute though.

I appreciate your sharing this about the shows and how people react to your work. That first impression of them trying to open those blocks and you did a great thing for them and for yourself by purchasing boxes. I really love them and the opportunity for cute little knobs is fun as well.

Great post.

Blessings
T

Anonymous said...

Diane...those boxes are fantastic!!!..I'm sure they will sell. Great news about poor Bob...it's great to hear that he's on the road to recovery...I love dogs!!! He's such a cutie!

BlueRidgeLady said...

These boxes are awesome! I have no doubt that they will be a great success at your next show! Who wouldn't love them? Glad to hear that Bob is starting to feel like his own cool self!

Manon said...

Diane.....that was a very good post. I agree with you. People like to see what they're buying.
Oh..... and Bob....what a sweetie. I hope he's feeling better soon!!

Biljana said...

The Boxes are absolutely beautiful!!
Hugs, Biljana

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Great perspective!!!! Thanks dear one for the tips! Loved having your visit! Your boxes are gorgeous! Blessings.

Theresa MacNaughton said...

These boxes are lovely, Diane. Great job on them. I enjoyed hearing why you enjoy selling your art in person. I'm rather shy like that - and I'd probably be very paranoid that people really didn't like my work. But I see the great value in being able to view art in person. Perhaps someday I'll gather up the nerve and try it for myself! :) Theresa

pammyjo said...

So glad Bob is doing better. Awwhh! Your little boxes are fabulous. :)

Sunny K. Lee said...

I love your art boxes. They are lovely and thank you for sharing your thoughts about art shows.

JGG said...

The boxes are great! Do you finish them with medium or varnish? I made boxes once from two gallery wrapped canvasses - hinged them myself - but the medium I used for the collage always feels tacky.

Jonny J Petros said...

Hi Diane- I love your box idea the musical paper on the inside looks great. Gosh Id love to do art shows again and your right when people see the work in person it is so much better. There is a lot of work involved but it is fun getting ready to do one- Im going to try an online store also in the winter.Hope Bob is doing well!

Mary S. Hunt said...

good transition!
lovely work
thanks for dropping by my blog today!

Lorraine said...

The boxes are a great idea Diane! Wonderful show info. Give Bob a big hug.

Unknown said...

What a nice write up on your show experiences and insite -
The new boxes are beautiful, love the functionality of them. And I really love the blocks - I'd be inclined to want to hang a grouping of them in the kitchen or family room, or maybe the bedroom, bathroom, ahh or the studio! :)
Nice work!

Pamela Holderman said...

So glad Bob is on the mend. And thanks so much for the selling tutorial - I have not made that leap yet and as etsy sales are nonexistent for me, then that may be my next avenue - but I don't know any good ones around here. Homework time! Your idea about the boxes is great. Another idea I have been seeing a lot of is small notebooks. thanks again!

Say It In Color said...

You give and share the best information!!!....and you have great art to boot! Also, thanks for the ideas on the boxes!....as I have a stack of five bigger flatter ones from years ago when I was going to paint them....I think collage and mixed media would be great on them....I'll give it try.....love theses! Thank you for all your good info on shows and everything else!!

Say It In Color said...

OH!!! Bob is way cool!! I have an OLD laughing dog picture (found it in my Mom's old bible!....I think...) that if I find, I'm sending you.....for one of your boxes?!....for Bob?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails